Ped & Tom go around and around on roundabouts, BritComs, accents, dialects, and bubblers. They revisit the problem of social media dopamine hits, and then explore the promise of Bitcoin and the blockchain.
This episode is brought to you by Patreon supporter Chris!
Chris is awesome-sauce.
Support the podcast on Patreon.
Discuss the podcast on Reddit.
Review the podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Accents & Dialects [01:44]
- Received Pronunciation
- A tour of British accents
- How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk (New York Times)
- Bang a U-ey, Rotary, and Other Boston Slang (Boston University)
Rotaries & Roundabouts [10:32]
Remaking BritComs [15:16]
- The Office UK vs The Office USA
- The IT Crowd being remade for the US
- Graham Linehan
- Why the Geek Community Hates ‘The Big Bang Theory’
Antisocial Media & Feedback Loops [21:09]
- Former Facebook VP says social media is destroying society(Washington Post)
- Facebook Messenger for Kids (New York Times)
- Child Online Protection Act (COPA)
- Wait Until 8th
- A deviously hairy online ad (The Verge)
Bitcoin & Blockchain [1:00:43]
Music by Lee Rosevere (CC by 4.0)