Climate change, nuclear war, hostile AI, runaway nanotech, supervolcanoes, supermassive meteor strikes and unrelenting alien invasions: Ped and Tom shine a gamma ray burst on the biggest threats to our continued existence. Inspiration optional!
Discuss the podcast on Reddit.
Support the podcast on Patreon.
Micro follow-ups [00:00]
- Todoist is working out great for Ped
- Blink: exceptional standalone sci-fi, and a great Who intro
- Andrew Mao clarifies Resilient Cooperators (more to come)
Handicapping the (Human) Race [15:22]
- Inevitably, we roll along
- Wikipedia at its best: Global Catastrophic Risk
- Nick Bostrom and the Future of Humanity Institute
- Carlin on the anthropocene (and the sixth extinction we’re soaking in)
- Thich Nhat Hanh: evolving intelligence and love
- Interlude: A brief stroll through the Fermi Paradox and the Great Filter
- It’s two and a half minutes to midnight: The Doomsday Clock advances
- Hostile AI: Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking and many others are sounding alarms
- Nanotech ecophagy, Grey Goo and see also Astrochicken
- Just a matter of time: supervolcano eruptions and magnetic pole reversal
- Gamma Ray Bursts - what fun!
Music by Lee Rosevere (CC by 4.0)
Cover photo by Kristi McCluer