Celebrating the luminous, quiet and noisy joys of the season, Quentin Tarantino has phasers set to kill for Captain Picard, and AlphaZero ushers in a new era of mostly fear for Ped and Tom as they ponder the perils of the new AI. Happy Holidays, humans!
Discuss the podcast on Reddit.
Support the podcast on Patreon.
Review the podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Yay, snow; nay, leaf blowers [00:27]
- Annual Average Snowfall for New England
- Your average American household at Christmas
- Cats in Christmas Trees
- It’s simple and quiet when it snows
- At least Jean-Luc is on board
- First world problems: noisy machines
Tarantino + Trek: A match made in … ? [14:00]
AlphaZero and the new AI [26:49]
- Long ago, Deep Blue beat Kasparov with brute force
- In Just 4 Hours, Google’s AI Mastered All the Chess Knowledge in History
- AI’s Hype cycle has now circled back, and this time it means business
- Quickly drawing neural networks back in Episode 04
- Machine Learning neatly explained by CGP Grey
- AlphaZero is AI’s Trinity Test moment
- Minority Report’s PreCogs
- Mutual assured destruction
- The Only Winning Move
- Universal Paperclips
- Final thought to ponder: Eponymous Link
Music by Lee Rosevere (CC by 4.0)